Mood: Stuck
This is my eighth week here at the company, and I can't believe I still have four weeks to go. Things are becoming so routine that I'm bored with it. This feels just like last summer-- or better yet-- the story of my life. I get bored with routine so easily because it's so easy to fall into. I do the same thing everday, and I don't have a special project I'm working on. I could not imagine doing this job for two or three years (much less even a year). I do same thing everyday, and most days, I don't even see or interact with my coworkers except via office instant messenger. Maybe that's just the nature of the job. The only motivating factor is the pay (which is good), getting to the weekend, and the light at the end of the tunnel (August 15th!).
Now, I'm not depressed or unhappy. I'm just bored. I've done a lot of thinking (during work, of course) about what I want to do. I've come to the sad realization that business (in general) does nothing really to contribute to or change society. I mean, I guess in the financial sector, all we do is transfer property rights back and forth and with that, we transfer money. We don't really do anything to better the world or help society. (Now I know the claims that business helps the economy and helps people maintain their lifestyles; but I mean something significant). I'm entertaining the idea of going to law school now. Yes, that's right-- another job idea. From professor to laywer to who know's what. I just know I want to do something that isn't routine. That doesn't make me look at the clock wondering when I get to leave. Who knows what that might be. We'll see.
This past weekend, I went to Chicago to visit my friend Amanda, who I met last summer in Detroit. I flew up Thursday night at 6pm, but flights were delayed and we didn't end up flying out till like 11pm. Now, at Dallas-Love, they had already shut down the large runway, so all we could use was the smaller one. The plane was too heavy, so the pilot said the baggage men would take off some bags that were being sent up for the delayed 4pm flight. When I get to chicago at 1:30am Friday morning, I discover that my bag is missing. I know it's in Dallas because they freaking took the bag off the plane. So I had no clothes or anything, but American gave me $75 to spend on personal items. I called and called and called and American said my bag would come sometime on Friday. It turns out that I didn't get my bag until Saturday morning at 8:30am. I went a whole 2 nights without my bags and thus, didn't really have anthing to go out with. So most of Friday, we went shopping, to the beach, and eating. Then on saturday, we went to lincoln park zoo, millenium park, had a hot dog, and then went out later that night. Then Sunday, I had to catch a flight back to Dallas. So overall, it was an interesting trip. I didn't really get to do everything I wanted to do (ie. a cubs game, go out thurs and fri night, have deep-dish pizza (we had pot-pie pizza instead, and shop more on Mich. ave) but it was good seeing my friend and made me fall in love with the city even more. I'd love to puruse a summer internship in chicago (or boston) next summer. Here are some pictures from the trip!





I'm going to Austin this weekend! I'm excited about that. It may be the last time I'm in Austin before January and the last time i see my friends before i go. =(
And here is my class schedule for HKUST. I know... i have classes Mon through Friday. It absolutely stinks. I guess i'll have to skip some fri/mon classes when I want to travel.
2 comments:
I can't even begin to tell you how sad I will be inside that this weekend might be the last time I see you for a long time Eric :(
I'm taking my MCAT on August 15th, so we should be able to hang out before you leave for HK. When do you leave the SL, again?
Post a Comment