Mood: Flying
So this past weekend was pretty amazing! Not only did I get to hang out with friends and relax a bit, I was also able to get a lot of homework done in preparation for my interview in Houston on Tuesday. I'll talk more about that later. But this weekend was great! Halloween weekend is always fun! It's always nice to see what creative costumes people come up with. I saw the usual pirate and princesses, but I also ran into Bjork and Spinelli (from Recess)! I also spent much of my weekend preparing for the case competition.
I had to finalize the rooms, the teams, and the seeding of the teams. I'm happy to say that originally, I was only preparing for 16 teams of 4, however, due to a large number of applications, I increased the total number of teams to 20. To my knowledge, no McCombs case competitions have ever had 20 teams competing. To accommodate for the 20 teams, I had to do a last minute room reservation, change my breakfast order, and also change my order for Jason's Deli. Then, on Sunday afternoon, I received the case from the case authors (also UT alumni). From then, I had to prepare for Kick-off by making CDs with the case and case guidelines, and then I made 20 hard copies of the case to distribute to the teams for case. This definitely was a lot of work but it is all rewarding. All the countless hours I have put into the case competition have been worth it because of the gratification I get from putting on a great competition that will allow other students to learn and accomplish a lot. The case competition is this Saturday, November 3rd starting at 8:30 AM. The finals round of the case competition starts at 1:15PM and is open to anyone who is interested in viewing a case competition.
So yes, today was Kick-off. It was really exciting to see all the teams in one room. Handing out the cases was rewarding because it signified the start of the competition. This week, my committee and I still have to confirm with the judges their participation, make the resume books, make name tags, finalize food arrangements, and confirm room reservations. Also, something new were doing this year is video taping all the prelim and final rounds of all the teams and providing the video tapes to the teams so they can view their presentation and improve for their next competition. Ok, i think that's enough talk about case competition!
So yea, my "business trip!" Tomorrow, I catch an 8:45 flight to Houston to visit the downtown offices of a company I'm really interested in interning with this summer. After a round of interviews and lunch and more interviews, I'll head by to Austin on at 4 PM flight. It'll be rough, but I'm extremely excited. It sounds pretty lame, if not cheesy, but this will be the first time I'm flying because of business. I'll be wearing a suit and everything on the plane and pretend to blend in with all the other business travelers. Haha. I'm pretty stoked. This is my first office visit, so yea. We'll so how tomorrow goes. Anywho, I probably should get to bed. I have to wake up tomorrow to get to the airport in time! Wish me luck on my first "business trip!" =)
Oh, and did ya'll know that Frank Warren from Post Secret is coming to UT on Nov. 1st. And Sherron Watkins, the Enron whistle blower is coming to speak on Nov. 5th. So I'm excited about both visits! =) yaya!
To me, I'm not sure if this person really does have a great life. How do you define happiness? I certainly don't view happiness by material wealth. Obviously, money does open doors to help enjoy life, but it isn't the key to happiness.
And as a BHP Student Recruiter, I encourage students to write their own essays, even if their parents demand that they write the essays for their students. Obviously, school really want to see students as they truly are. Be true. It's unfortunate how pressured today's students are by their parents. I'm fortunate that my parents let me do whatever I wanted regarding college applications. My dad helped me keep track of deadlines and edited my apps to make sure I had all the documents, but other than that, my parents took a hand-off approach to my college applications, and I'm glad for that.
I just thought this postcard was cute. So many times, you can see people who obviously have feelings for one another, and you just want to reach and out shake them so they realize it!
Ok, well off to bed! I'll inform ya'll of how my office visit goes! =)
1 comment:
hope things are going well in Houston!
Post a Comment