Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Calm Week, maybe?

Music: Young- Kenny Chesney
Mood: Tired

So after case competition, I just slept until the 5k the next day. On Sunday, I ran in the Susan Komen Race for the Cure 5K. My time was 28 minutes, which I'm okay with. I would eventually want to get a 25 or even a 24 minute 5k. That means shaving off about a minute or so per mile. But nonetheless, running in the 5k was a moving experience. I was my first race, and I really enjoyed it. Running amongst cancer survivors and others who were running in the memory of loved ones who have fallen victim to breast cancer was moving. My fund raising goal was $100, and I was actually able to make it. My parents donated $50 and a coworker from Detroit also donated $50, so I was extremely happy about that! =) Now, I'm training for the Houston Turkey Trot 10k on Thanksgiving Day. The Turkey Trop 10k goes to help senior citizens though the Sheltering Arms Senior Services charity. I still have to sign up for this, but I think I'm up for the challenge. 10K is 6.22 miles. I'm hoping to do it under an hour.

In other news, school is going well. I have a lot of homework to catch up on because I didn't have this weekend to do homework. I have over 200 pages to read in French Revolution. I have a paper over the Terror of the French Revolution due on November 19th. I also have a philosophy paper due on November the 19th as well. I have to read so much for that paper as well. I'm writing on revelation and how God communicates with his followers. We've read two texts about Christianity. Today, I just finished read The Bhagavad Gita, and next I need to read about Confucius. In Management, my group is still working on our consulting project. Our group executive summary is due 11/12 and then our presentation will be the week following Thanksgiving. Oh, and I also have a management reflection paper due on 11/19 as well. So though my birthday is Nov 15 (Thursday), I won't be able to relax and celebrate too much because I basically have 3 papers due the Monday after my birthday. =( I also have a lot of stuff to do in spanish as well, a cultural presentation, a quiz, and a test too. Ekk. Haha. Well, enough ranting about what I have to do, I bet everyone has so much to do leading up to the Thanksgiving break.

Oh good news as well. The Chemical company I interviewed with in Houston last Tuesday extended me an offer for an internship this summer. Their company internship program as a rotational program. I'm still waiting on offers from other companies before I make a decision. I hope to have my offers on my table and be able to make all my decision by November 15th. The company I interned with this summer extended me an offer in Audit for this coming summer. They gave me till November 15th to accept or decline the offer, so I've passed this offer deadline to the other companies I've interviewed with, so I hope to have my summer plans finalized by November 15th. =) I had a phone interview with an entertainment in California for a position in Audit. For some reason, the company also had me interview for a position in corporate tax, even though I'd be more interested in audit. They told me that usually, it takes about 4 to 5 weeks to hear back from them, but they said they'd rush my interview review so I could have a decision from them by Nov. 15th. Oh, and so on Thursday, I followed up with the hedge fund company I'm really interested in interview with in Dallas. I got a response from the HR contact, and based on my situation, she was able to set up an office visit for me. Thus, on Friday, I'm flying up to Dallas to do second round interviews. Ekk. I'm excited but I know I'll be worn and tired! Gah.

Oh, and tomorrow is the Fast-A-Thon! I'm super duper excited about this. I've pledged to fast for hunger from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm with the Muslim Students' Association. For every pledge they get to fast, money will be donated to the Austin Food Bank. My friends and I are getting up and going to Kerbey Lane at 4:45 to eat and enjoy ourselves. Then we're going to start fasting at 5:30 and then break fast at 5:30 in gregory gym. =) I also got a flu shot today. It was pretty traumatic... I absolutely hate needles and sharp objects... scissors, blades, knives, etc... ekk. talking (I mean typing about it freaks me out), but so I waited in line and then went into the booth at Gregory Gym. There, they had about 15 tables each with a nurse with tons of needles, bandages, and sterilization pads. I walked in and it hit me like a ton of bricks.. Inside, I really started to freak out and could feel that I was about to hyperventilate, but I stopped, took a deep breath, and got my shot, and then got out of there as fast as I could. It was pretty traumatic.. haha.

Oh well, that's pretty much all that's going on. It's now pretty late.... and I'm going to wake up at 4:45am to start fasting, eat, and then go back to bed.

1 comment:

angelspinenvy said...

I fasted both this year and last year for our Fast-A-Thon (it usually happens during Ramadan, but I guess y'all's is just later in the year), and it's a really cool experience. We just do it from sun-up till sun-down. It's kind of an odd experience being up and eating before the sun has even risen, when it still feels like night, but it feels like you're purging your body of toxins when you just don't eat for the whole day. Once you get past the lunch hour, you should be fiiine. Have fun with it!