Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mosquito Bites Stink

Music: Rihanna- Take a Bow
Mood: Itchy


I'm in week 4 of my internship, and it's going well so far! I'm pretty much done with training, and I'm now taking over some of the roles of the people training me. In the mornings, I compare the positions and contact the traders and the counterparties that we deal with. That usually takes up most of my morning. After lunch, I usually go in and look at the cash to make sure it’s correct. I have to book commissions and other financing expenses (this is more accounting based). Then after that, around 3 or 4, the day’s trades usually come in so I have to book them in my spreadsheet and then also book them in our accounting books. That’s pretty much my day in a nutshell.

It is sort of repetitive, but at the same time, somewhat interesting because it’s exposing me to finance. When I have down time, I read the corporate finance book I found in the company library. Right now, I’m reading up on NPV and bonds. It’s pretty cool that if I’m not doing the actual operations work, I get paid to read and to learn. Not bad, if I may say so myself. I do get drained a lot though. Since I wake up early in the morning to go to the gym, I’ve already been up for 2 hours before I’m at my desk. At least I don’t have to go the gym right after work; I don’t think I’d have the energy to do so afterwards.

Ok, so anyways, there are like mosquitoes in my apartment. It stinks. They’re so annoying, and I don’t know how to get rid of them. I have so many bites and everything. Other than that, the apartment is nice. It’s on the dirty side, but I don’t feel like cleaning so I think the dirt is just going to stay there. There’s a nice pool outside with a waterfall that is pretty relaxing to just sit by. Speaking of which, I might just go and lay out today after work. [yes, I’m at work as I type this.. I’ve got some down time before the 4’o clock trades come through.)

Also, now I volunteer at the local women’s shelter in Dallas every Tuesday from 6 to 8 after work. I had training 2 days ago and yesterday was my first day. I think I got several mosquito bites from there too. In fact, I feel one on my ear… which stinks! Lol. But yea, here’s the story behind why I decided to volunteer. I was shopping at Banana Republic (which I am addicted to, btw) and I started talking to one of the sales men who helped get a sweater I wanted. He was telling me he gets 50% off full price items and 30% off sale items. He said that I should try and apply because they were hiring like crazy and need lots of people. He gave me an application and said I could even just work on the weekends… the funny thing was that I was actually considering it… believe that… but I said NO, [1] I shouldn’t be working there to spend more money there, and [2] if I’m even considering getting a second job, I should be using that time to help others rather than splurge on myself again. So yes, now I volunteer at the women’s shelter. Yesterday, I played soccer and basketball (we played horse), and I discovered I was really bad at both. I concluded that I’m better at individual sports like running or cycling. The kids also played with chalk, and I discovered I can’t draw either… it was a very sad day in the sense that I realized I was bad at everything little kids do. Oh well, it was entertaining to play with the kids and escape the office once and a while.

This past weekend, I went and visited my friends in Austin. Oh how I miss Austin and my friends. I drove down right after work on Friday and got to Austin at like 8. We went to Mandola’s at the triangle and that was pretty taste. Afterwards, we went downtown and then topped the night at Katz’s deli with some milkshakes (except Vicki got a hot dog). Saturday was a lazy yet productive day. I woke up, grabbed breakfast, and then went to the coop to find some gifts for my brother. I ended up getting him a UT hat and then a UT athletic/track jacket that I really liked myself (too bad I can’t buy one for myself… I’m on a shopping ban until the month of July.. yes a self-instated shopping ban. My pocketbook will thank me later for that). Then I went to my Steven H’s (my dallas roommate) apartment to pick up some stuff he left behind/stuff we needed for the apt in dallas. Afterwards, we had lunch at Clay Pit (which I was craving for the past week or so). Stuffed from the clay pit buffet, i took a nap and didn’t wake up till like 6. Afterwards, we went down to Town Lake to kayak. It was my first time kayaking on town lake so that was pretty exciting. I got my pants pretty wet, as the waves were pretty rough.. they obviously weren’t real waves, but just wakes created by the wind. At one point, we got stuck in a lagoon and almost attacked by the hanging tree limps and a spiderweb.. though my friends say it was a tree disease… but that doesn’t make me feel any better. Well afterwards, since we were near Hula Hut and were planning on celebrating our friend Becca’s birthday, we put in a reservation and then went back to the apartments to change. We went back to Hula Hut and I had some salmon tacos, which I was also craving. Afterwards, we played Loaded Questions and then called it a night, as I had a long drive a head of me on Sunday. On Sunday, I woke up at like 9:30, got on the road, and made It back to dallas by 1. I had to stop for gas on the way back.. and boy, I paid the most for gas I’ve ever paid.. it cost me $60 to fill up.. about 13 gallons at 4.25 a gallon (for premium). UGH! But it was well worth the trip! I MISS Austin.

This weekend should be fun though! We’re going to see an FC Dallas game and then see The Ars Supernova play later that night. Also, Steven K, our third roommate is finally in town so it should be fun hanging out with him as well.

Well, I think the 4 pm trades are in now. I better get off to work. But here are some kayak pictures from this past weekend! Leave me happy comments, and let me know how you’re doing.

Chaya- I’ll be in Houston August 16 to August 21. Let’s plan some rice village festivities!
Mina- Hooray for summer blogging! I’m going to be blogging in the fall while I’m abroad so watch out! I am jealous of your study abroad and can’t wait for HKG! Do you know Margaret L or Linda T? I think they went on that France abroad program too…
Melissa- how is your summer treating you? Are your office still in the FCC interviewing suites or have ya’ll moved yet?

We're actually in 2 kayaks...


Kayaking is tough work!

This is a fun photo! We're just lounging.. about to drift into the lagoon.

2 comments:

angelspinenvy said...

ooh yes, Rice Village! Orrr we can do museum district funness! I think that's the best idea. Hopefully I'll be done with my MCAT by then...= /

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric,

Yes, I am in FCC Interview Suites. Nice digs for me, but I better not get too used to it! I've been wanting to try kayaking, I will definitely do it before summer is over.
Melissa