Music: Ryan Adams- New York, New York (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1IhDW18rxyY)
Mood: Being Yuppy-ish
The summer has began full swing. I am no longer a sophomore, but rather, I am an upperclassman. That feels weird. This past year was amazing. I've grown a lot and really discovered a lot about myself, my friends, my passions, and maybe even my future.
I've just finished my second weekend in Dallas, and I must comment that this summer is going to be a lot more chill than last summer was. I'm rooming with two friends who are only in town Thursday through Sunday because during the week, they're traveling to the client site. That means much of the week, I'll be able to read a lot, relax, and go to the gym. Before I go on about what I've done these two weeks, I feel like I've got a lot to say about my job and what I've done so far.
My first day was May 19th so I drove up to Dallas and move in on Saturday, May 17th. The drive from Houston to Dallas was nice and soothing, except for the fact that my ipod was being moody and decided to quit working for the drive up. Good thing I was prepared and had a bunch of CDs too. Driving up to Dallas by myself, I felt so grown up, so mature. Here I was, a 19 year old, driving the 4.5 hours to Dallas by myself with my car full of things I'd need this summer. Arriving in Dallas, I met up with the people I'm subletting from, and then I began to move in by myself. Slowly, I brought everything up to the apartment and moved in. I was home. Though none of this furniture or anything is mine, it still feels like my place. I'm content. After I moved in and everything, I went off to find a Gym. I knew I needed a gym near uptown near my office. I was looking at 24hour, Golds, Ballys, and Lifetime. I went to 24hour, toured the place, and found their going rate for just the summer. The thing is, that 24hour was in downtowm, so that'd meant I'd have to drive from uptown to downtown to work out. So I went to Gold's Gym, which is literally right across the street from my office. I went in, toured the facilities, saw the hours for group cycling, and actually liked the place. The thing was, they wanted to charge me like twice as much as what 24hour was charging. So i was able to talk with the sales manager, and he was able to get me a membership for less than what 24hour was going to give me. So that Saturday after moving in, I signed my membership with Golds and even worked out that night.
I'm not sure what it is, but I think going to the gym plays a large part in my schedule (or my life for that matter). It's my outlet, my way to get away from society and just do nothing and think about nothing. So yes, the gym is an integral part of my schedule. Reason I mention that is because it's what defines my schedule more than work. (Strange, huh?) And going to the gym in uptown makes me feel even more yuppy-ish than I already am. OK, so here is my work schedule. I can be in the office as late at 8:30, and basically, I'm limited to 40 hours a week (though I wouldn't mind getting overtime. I'll have to check with my boss). Anyways, so I've made it a habit now of going to the gym in the morning. (it takes 2 weeks to develop a habit or a routine, so this third week should seal the deal in my morning gym routine). So everyday, I wake up at like 5:30 or so (meaning I go to bed by 10 or 10:30 so i can get enough sleep). I brush my teeth and change into athletic clothes, and then head off to the gym to make it there by 5:50 or 6:00. On Monday, wednesday, and friday, Gold's has group cycling (/spinning) class at 6am. Then after working out (around 7 or 7:15), I drive to my office and go up to shower. My office has showers for people who work out, so I go up, shower, and get dressed into my work clothes. (Dress is casual-- jeans and a button down or polo... and shorts on friday). So it's nice. Then, after showering (at the office.. ) I make it to my office by 7:45 (sometimes 8, depending on how long of a shower I want to take). Then I boot up my computer and grab breakfast. The office provides breakfast and lunch for employees everyday. There are like 15 types of cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, poptarts, and fresh strawberries and blueberries, coffee, tea, etc. So I grab my breakfast and eat at my desk while i'm working on my morning work. Then I grab lunch around 12 with the other interns. We usually find an open conference room and eat in there. The company provides lunch daily, so it's nice (there is always sandwich meat, salads, and baked potatoes if we don't like the main item). So with that, we usually take only 30 mins for lunch, and then I'm off to do my afternoon work. I'm usually done around 5 or 5:30. After work, I drive back home, relax a bit, make dinner, catch the 5:30 national news--- nightly news on nbc, i can't remember the name of the person-- then I watch a bit of how i met your mother, read some (i'm reading to kill a mockingbird right now), make some phone calls, and then call it a night. Sometimes, I hang out with some friends in the Dallas area, but obviously, I can't stay up too late b/c i have to wake up around 5:30.
In general, Dallas has been interesting so far. I enjoy it but it doesn't compare to Austin at all. The work I'm doing is interesting, but I just can't stand being in front of the computer all day. I think this was the same feeling i had last summer. I just don't know how I'm going to work full-time if it means i'll be in front of the computer for the rest of my life. I want to get out, interact with other people, and do something meaningful and impact-ful with my hands and mind, not just using a computer processor. So my debate continues as to what i should do upon graduation.
Oh, I am going to visit Austin this weekend! I'm pretty excited i'll get to hang out with friends who are in Austin and get some of the college feel again. I'm planning on going to Chicago in July to visit a friend and I know I want to visit Austin again in July. I'm done with my internship on August 15th (Friday), and then I fly off to Hong Kong on August 21st (Thursday). I won't be back in the States until Jan 1st, where I'll spend 5 days in san francisco before returning to Houston and then Austin for the spring semester. It's pretty exciting that I have some planned things for the summer and for hong kong, but I think what keeps me going is the unknown. Not knowing how this summer is going to be or what I'm going to do.. that's thrilling in a strange way. I suppose spontaneity is entertaining.
Well, I think I'm going to eat lunch (a sandwich).
Oh speaking of lunch and sandwiches, there's a Jason's Deli near by my place (i'm like 8 minutes south of the SMU and mockingbird station area. There's a Jason's deli there and I've been there like 3 times already in the past 2 weeks... And that place is always busy. Many of y'all know that is one of my favorite places to eat. My comfort food is a simple sandwich. Nothing makes me feel better or more relaxed than a simple sandwich (and maybe some icecream to follow). So with that Jason's there, it reaffirms my goal of one day franchising and opening up a Jason's deli! We'll see! =)
3 comments:
yay you are still blogging :) hope you have a good time in dallas
Brian Williams, sweetheart. It hurts my heart a little when you don't know the name of the NBC Nightly News host...hopefully you know his predecessor's name? That man's voice makes my knees go weak.
Anyway, I know what you mean about feeling so completely at home in your place. There's something really wonderful about having an apartment of your own. I'm really looking forward to having that again next year. = )
So...I'll see you in Houston before you leave for Hong Kong, right? Please tell me yes! I'll be in town all the rest of this summer, so I'll have time for you, if you have time for me!!
Hey Eric! Glad you are getting into a routine in Dallas...it sounds great! I'm so glad you are blogging so I can keep up with you this summer :)
Melissa
Post a Comment