Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Middlesex

Music: What I've Done- Linkin Park
Mood: Content

Yay! I just finished reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, and it was amazing! The writing was so fun to read. Eugenides really conveyed the point of view of the main character, Callie/Cal, and I was able to connect with him on so many levels and really understand his past. The characters were well developed and each of them had unique qualities that made me really connect with the book overall. I definitely recommend it to someone who wants a heartfelt novel with sentimental value. The plot is very unique and refreshing.

Here's a quote that I found particularly engaging. I've read 4 books since spring break (including Middlesex), and many of them have a trend of casting aging as something negative and hapless. It kind of makes me not want to get old to the point where I can't take care of myself. This is from the last chapter:
The lesson of Desdemona's suffering and rejection of life insisted that old age would not continue the manifold pleasures of youth but would instead be a long trial that slowly robbed life of even its smallest, simplest joys. Everyone struggles against despair, but it always wins in the end. It has to. It's the thing that lets us say goodbye.
I'm now about to start this book called The Emperor's Children, by Claire Messud, which, according to the summary, is about socialites in New York City who went to college together and now some are successful while others are not as successful. I'm kind of excited!

The sad thing is, I don't know if I'll have time to pleasure read. It took me about 2 weeks to read Middlesex and I don't know how free I'll be for the rest of the semester to read this book as well. Things are starting to get busy. I've got to sort out my study abroad stuff (apply to the actual school, work on flight information, register for the classes I want, visa, medial examination/shots, insurance while abroad, int'l study abroad card, etc.). I've also got a PHL paper due next Friday over Hume, which I find interesting but it's hard to pay attention. I like my philosophy class, but oftentimes, I'm distracted by other things (such as reading in-class, or checking email in class). Spanish is pretty simple right now, but I've got to stay up to date on that. Oh, and for Statistics, I'm obviously shooting for an A, but the tests are scary because they're calculations and also nit-picky definitions as well, so I'm going to have to study hard this weekend.

Also, I made the discovery that I actually like managerial accounting, a lot. It makes total sense to me, and I understand it. However, I still don't know if MPA is the way for me. I haven't taken any finance classes yet, but I hope I'll enjoy those as well. It's just that MPA is so much more accounting than just managerial-- audit, tax, other financial acc't things. So yes, I'm good a managerial accounting and enjoy it but don't think I want to major in it.

Well, I think it's nearing my bedtime. I had to do laundry randomly this evening b/c all the dirty clothes was piling up, so that delayed me a bit. Oh wait, as many of ya'll know, I'm interning with a hedge fund company in dallas (uptown specifically, around SMU area). I'm still looking for housing (a 2br apt) around the area to sublease, so if anybody knows any SMU students who want to sublease, that'd be great. I've found one for about 800 per bedroom, but that's kind of on the pricey side. So let me know if y'all have any options in that area!

G'nite!

No comments: