Monday, October 12, 2009

Austin Weather Blues

Music: You and I by Ingrid Michaelson
Mood: Stuffy Nose

The Ingrid Michaelson song You and I has been stuck in my head since Sunday..

"Let's get rich and buy our parents homes in the South of France
let's get rich and give everybody nice sweaters
and teach them how to dance
let's get rich and build our house on a mountain
making everybody look like ants
from way up there, you and I, you and I, you and I"

And apparently the guy she's dueting is Jason Mraz!



I don't feel like doing anything tonight (though I should be going to bed soon), so I figured I'd blog again. I know it's not a good thing to talk about the weather, but GOSH, this weather is driving me nuts. They say Texas doesn't have seasons but that is false.. we have seasons within a week. It's supposed to hit 80 tomorrow and then hit the upper 80s on Wednesday.. and this is after it was in the 60s this weekend.

I blame Austin's moody weather and the temperature changes for my stuffy nose. Grrr. I'm just popping the vitamin C pills hoping that I recover very quickly.

So today was pretty productive. Apart from trying to take care of Mortarboard stuff (which is taking unnecessary amounts of paper-shoving time), I presented at the McCombs info session about UT, I then went for a jog (and my left foot continues to fall asleep/go numb after about mile 2.. it's annoying and i think I need to go back to RunTex to have it looked at). Then, I spent some time in the library getting books for my plan II thesis... I finally have some time to start reading for that.. BUT I still need to find a thesis adviser. After a Plan II thesis meeting from 5 to 6, i went home, cooked dinner, and watched some How I Met Your Mother before reading some more of "Smartest Guys in the Room," a book about how the corruption at Enron led to it's downfall.

I also spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to dispute a charge from a restaurant I ate at in New York City last week. The bill was $40.63 and my portion was $14.63. The people I ate with paid cash, and I charged the rest to my card. I was paying my bill today and noticed that the entire bill was charged to my card, not just my portion. This is the first time a restaurant messed up my credit card bill. So I called the NYC restaurant and they said to call back tomorrow when their credit card person was in, so i have to do that tomorrow. I also went ahead and filed a dispute a charge notice with my credit card company just to get the paperwork going. In my conspiracy theory, the waitress kept the cash that was meant to cover the rest of the tab and charged the entire bill to my card. What I don't understand is that I signed for $14.63.... so i'm wondering if they actually still have that receipt? We'll see tomorrow.


And in my creepy, but quick phone photo skills.. I saw this lady with the cutest umbrella.

I don't know if you can see it, but her umbrella has a shark on it, and that pointy thing is the fin of the shark.. Also notice how the umbrella is tiny (most likely a child's umbrella). So, [1] she gets cool points for a cool umbrella, and [2] she gets cool points for having a green rain coat. =)

And i thought this blog was supposed to be career related?... yea, on that front. It's such a relief to have a post-graduation job lined up! In fact, I'm visiting the firm in Dallas on Friday afternoon before the OU festivities begin! =) And I'm also thankful that I don't have to be wearing a suit in this weather.. but best of luck to those who are still interviewing!!! I'm rooting for ya!

Lastly, any comments would be lovely.. The last few posts have been comment-less. =(

3 comments:

ShyaMillionaire said...

I saw a cooler umbrella--its the dome of the duomo cathedral in Florence:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1235159307063017564LmeAmI

its the umbrella and the actual dome behind it!

Vicki said...

I hate paper pushing. [and having been to UHS twice in the last two weeks, I hate doctoral/medical paper pushing that needs to be done by other people, because I swear it takes them forever]

SO EXCITED FOR OU.
:)

angelspinenvy said...

I LOVE You and I = ) Good choice on the song.

And I'm probably late on this, and probably shouldn't even talk, as I haven't read your blog in forevers, but I didn't know you were working in Dallas after graduating! Congrats on landing a job! Hopefully we'll still see each other now that you won't have summer and spring and winter breaks...