Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Intrinsic Motivation?

Music: Dangerous- Ying Y ang Twins
Mood: In Deep Thought


Wow. Texas Football has really let me down. I went to the Kansas State game until it started down pouring during half time. After I left, we just kept losing.... I'm not looking forward to the OU game and I don't expect it to be too good. Oh, and I read the Sunday and Monday Austin-American Statesman where they did a tw0-day report on Texas Sports and the expenses. Apparently, Texas Athletics will spend $107 million this year. Additionally, Texas Sports spends about $210,000 on each of its 510 athletes. http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/0930utsportsmain.html
I was so surprised. At least our tuition doesn't go to pay for athletics, but I still think it's crazy how much money goes into Texas Sports. And apparently, the money made from collegiate athletics and donations to college sports is tax-exempt. Read the article for more information. I read the article Sunday night instead of doing homework... but I think it's worth it.

So this week is relatively mild. However, for me, it's been filled with Company Night Priors/ Meet and Briefs with companies. I'm recruiting with various companies and hoping to get an internship for the summer. Today, I had an interview with an oil and gas company today for an internship in energy commodities, where I'd be doing analysis, projection, forecasting, etc. for the commodities area of the industry. To prepare, I talked myself through some possible interview questions. My roommate, who is a Junior MPA student, overheard me practicing and we got on this long conversation about motivation and how we define success. Now, this was at 12am when after I just finished accounting and was preparing to go to bed for my 9am interview today.

So, we got on this long conversation about what motivates me and what drives me to success. I find that in the business world, we're motivated and urged to get jobs and success is measured by the companies we recruit with and the amount we make. There's so much pressure at the business school to be ahead in the "rat race" and to stay ahead to get the interviews and the internships. Many people are extrinsically motivated to achieve success because they care about what other people view them as. People view the go-getters and high achievers as such because they've accomplished so much in the business world. But I guess the question was what comes first, the success or the extrinsic reward of approval from society? Just a random question that we were wondering last night. For me, I'd say a lot of what I do is intrinsic motivation. But what exactly does that mean? I'm motivated to do well in my classes and achieve success because I enjoy pushing my self, setting goals, and being challenged. Why do I stay up late each night slaving over homework? Why do I spend so much time doing extracurricular activities? What is my motivation? I'd say most of it is intrinsic. I genuinely find satisfaction in challenging myself in my courses and truly understanding the material. I also enjoy the actives I'm in business council because of the benefit it provides for others, not because of the recognition I get for putting on these activities. That's my motivation. What motivates you?

Well, the rest of this week is pretty simple. I've got a mangement essay due on Tomorrow that I still need to start. And I'm going to give my shameless plug about case competition:

The actual competition is Saturday, November 3. Case applications are due Friday, 10/26

We have two info session on Mon, 10/22- 5pm- GSB 2.122 and Tues, 10/23- 5pm- GSB 2.122.

The prizes are absolutely fantastic:

1st Place Team- $2,500 + USC Case Competition
2nd Place Team- $1,000 + MIBC (McCombs International Business Council, Nov. 14-17)
3rd Place Team- $700

With that, I bid ya'll a great week and see ya'll later. I'm off to the gym.. I read somewhere that some people think sweat thearpy helps relieve stress. I really think it does because it's a way to get away from all the pressures and such of society.

Oh and one more thing, ya'll know I'm the BHP student recruiter. I got business cards today... I feel so professional and "mature" because I've got my professional business cards with my name on them. And I can give them out to people!!! Stop me when you see me, and I can show you it.. and I'll even give you one! =)

Ok off to the gym! See ya'll!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

totally want a business card.

<3 V

Mina said...

i went to the game! The rain was actually really fun...a lot more fun than the game unfortunately =(