Mood: Relaxed and Fulfilled
If you're gonna be there, be thereI am thrilled to officially announce that I have received a full-time offer to work in Dallas with a strategic consulting firm after graduation!
If you're gonna stay, stay tonight,
Start livin, out with the old, I'm on the up,
Must be the good life
I never thought this announcement would come, but after much hard work, preparation, and stress, I finally accomplished my goal of getting an offer in strategic consulting, and let me tell you, it is extremely satisfying and humbling to be done with recruiting.
I interviewed with the firm on Tuesday, and then I got a call back for a 2nd round on campus again on Thursday, and then on Friday, I got a call from the partner at the firm (whom I interviewed with on Thursday) extending me an offer at the firm after graduation!
It all happened so quickly that I'm still processing it right now. This weekend, I went to the Business Council informal retreat and I got my physical offer letter with compensation and offer details yesterday! Today, I sent in my background check information and I hope to accept my offer soon. I am still waiting to hear back from one other consulting firm I interviewed with on Thursday and Friday, but regardless of whether I get that offer or not, there's a 95% chance I'll take this offer. It was my top choice, but now that I've got it in the bag, I feel weird accepting the first offer I've received and not having to "options". I think psychologically, we like to keep our options open, even if we don't need them. In Michael Gladwell's Blink, he talked about options and how people will keep options open for them, even if it hurts them because they can't stand doors closing, even if they know that their current option is amazing.
That being said, with the firm I got an offer with right now: The opportunity for growth is amazing, I know a lot of people at the firm from Business Council and BHP, I've enjoyed talking to everyone I met at the firm, I think the work will be challenging and engaging, and I most importantly, it's what I wanted! Call me crazy, but I should be submitting my acceptance offer now.
But, I don't know what I'm waiting for though. I guess I'm trying to get through all the tests from this week (one tomorrow, 2 on thursday, and I still have to start studying! Yike.. senioritis much?) I'll probably send in my acceptance on Thursday or early next week. I have already notified companies that have called me back for 2nd rounds (namely investment banks) that I've got an offer for consulting and am no longer looking for a full-time offer in banking. I've also canceled all my interviews on OCR and withdrew my application from any firms that I had a pending application with. Let me tell you, that is an amazing feeling! Especially in this economy, I am very humbled to be extended an offer for the firm I want to work for. For all the other seniors looking for a job right now, I wish that you each will experience the same feeling soon!
So besides the excitement of not having to recruit anymore and having a full-time offer from the firm I really wanted to work for, life has pretty much been about the same. I can already feel myself relaxing a bit more and enjoying myself! I went to an Ingrid Michaelson concert last night and it was so much fun! I really like her music and seeing her live for the 2nd time was great. Besides from the 3 tests I have this week, I'm flying to New York for an all-expense paid business conference from Friday to Monday. The conference is only Friday and Saturday, but I'm staying on Sunday and Monday to just visit the city and catch up with friends in the New York area! I'm super excited about the city. I'm planning on going to the last regular season baseball game with the Mets playing the Astros (and of course I'm going to wear my Astros gear!). I'm also hoping to see a broadway, check out nightlife, and experience the city some more.
Besides that, I met with my advisor today to see if I could simply my spring schedule a bit due to me having a job now. I found out that even if I dropped my accounting minor, I'd still have to take intermediate accounting and my course load wouldn't change at all b/c I don't have enough finance classes for any other track besides the corporate finance track. So, unfortunately, my schedule will not be getting easier. In the spring, I'm taking intermediate acct, finance for lg corporations, management 370, capstone finance class, and writing my senior thesis. I was hoping to free up time to study for the GMAT or relax a bit, but it doesn't look like it. =\ Oh well, I have the job that I really wanted, so I'm not complaining.
One caveat, I've used the word job throughout my entry. I'm still weary of calling this a career, but in thinking to myself, I'm wondering what distinction I've drawn myself between a job and a career. I'd like to think of job as something that just pays the bills and allows us to get by and a career as a job that I like and that allows me to develop professionally and personally. Maybe I then, by that definition, I should be calling it a career, but that just feels weird, so I'll resort to calling it a job for now.
So, this year, I'm still going to enjoy myself, do things on my Austin Bucket List, and make my senior year enjoyable!! But enough of the rambling. I need to start studying for my Cost Accounting class. YIKES!
1 comment:
Congrats, Eric! You're amazing.
Post a Comment