Tuesday, September 22, 2009

To Bank or Not to Bank

Music: Halo by Beyonce
Mood: Burned-out

It's only Tuesday, and I'm already suffering from burnout. Last week was non-stop and this week is even worse, and the scary thing is, the pressure is still on to get the job I want after graduation. I had about 7 interviews last week, and this week, I have a total of 10 first round interviews and a potential for 3 second round interviews this week.

It's been not only physically draining, but emotionally, I don't know how to even process what is going on. I'm so set on just getting a job offer in something that I'm not sure what I actually am recruiting for or if I'd actually accept if I got an offer from them.

I have been recruiting with the consulting firms and investment banks, but I'm not sure if my heart is even set on doing investment banking. I just don't know if I'm cut for the long hours and the stress involved with banking. I know for sure I'd do consulting. However, if consulting doesn't work out and I get a banking offer, I don't know if I'd be happy taking it simply because the work-life balance would not even exist.

I already have a second round interview with a bank in Houston this weekend, and I'm waiting to hear back from the consulting firms I've recruited with last week and this week. The company I interviewed with last week should tell me within this week. Another consulting firm I interviewed with today will tell me tonight and 2nd rounds will be on campus again on Thursday. I also have another interview on Thursday with a consulting firm and they'll make decisions overnight and have second rounds on Friday. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll have a consulting offer in the bag. I just need to ace my case interviews (which I have been practicing very hard for as of lately).

Besides recruiting, not much is going on:
  • Went to the Tech game, and my parents and brother was in town this past weekend
  • I'm working on finding a research assistant position
  • I'm talking with professors to develop a solid thesis idea and have 2 advisors

That's all folks. I'll have updates later as they develop.

No comments: