Mood: In Remembrance
Six years ago today, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. The year was 2001. I was in 8th grade. I remember walking into the classroom of my first period English class with Ms. Rice, and the TV was on with live footage of the North Tower of the World Trade Center in flames. I had no idea what was going on. At first, I thought it was an accident, that some airplane had lost control and accidentally hit the tower, but then we saw a second plane fly straight into the South Tower, and at that point, I knew this was no accident. As the first period bell rang to dismiss us to second period, we froze in horror as we witnessed the towers collapse. No one could believe what had happened. For the rest of the day, parents had begun to show up at school to take their kids out of class. In fact, if I remember correctly, the school was only about 60% full. Because school officials ordered all TVs turned off, we were left in the dark about flight 93 and other possible attacks. There were rumors that the White House, the Washington Monument, and even Camp David were attacked by the terrorists. Today, we reflect on the past six years. We reflect on where we were that fateful day, and we remember all those who lost their lives and all those who were affected.
Today was a peculiar day. Campus seemed less crowded than normal. It was a bit overcast, but other than that, it was pretty normal. I love my Tuesdays and Thursdays because I only have one class on Tuesdays and two classes on Thursdays. But, Accounting class seemed to have taken forever to sit through, though it was interesting material. Assets, liabilities, equity, credits, debits! Yippee! No really, most people I spoke to last year were like "Accounting.. you'll hate it!" But I really don't have a problem in it (yet...). I actually like doing it. So maybe it's a hate it or love it subject. Adding up the assets and making sure its equal to liabilities + equity is fun, especially when you get to the end and it adds up correctly! Haha. Additionally, it's interesting to see how much money is passed around in businesses. Think about it. When I buy a new pair of, say.... sunglasses, I get the plastic frames, the lenses, and the brand image of the sunglasses. In return for the transaction, the company gets cash from me. However, you've got to think about the suppliers of the plastic, the suppliers of the lenses, the distribution costs, the production costs, the building to produce the sunglasses, hiring workers to manufacture the glasses, the marketing department to convince consumers to buy your brand, the accountants to balance the books, the designers to make appealing sunglasses.. and so much more. It's fascinating how that pans out to support a business. OK.. i'll quit being so nerdy now.
So Undergraduate Business Council elections were today. And boy am I glad they are over. I've gotten so many facebook solicitations for people telling me to vote for them. And walking through the business school, candidates following me, trying to shove brownies, dum-dums, and other goodies in my hands to solicit votes. I remember doing this last year to get votes, and I can't remember being that annoying. Well, best of luck to all those who ran. I got elected on to UBC as a freshman representative last year, and I'm so glad I'm part of such a great organization! This year, I'm also hoping to do Texas Blazers, which stands for service, spirit, and leadership. I know quite a few people on Blazers, and based on their experiences, Blazers seems like a great organizations to be a part of.
With that, I've got to get ready for a consulting company's info session at 5:30. Tonight's hwk includes:
- Read for Mgn't
- Read for French Revolution- Rousseau and Origins of the FR
- Do Spanish hwk
- Read Plato bk. 7
1 comment:
I turned in my Orange Jackets application today.
*crosses fingers*
Post a Comment