Mood: Sleep Deprived
So. The new Starbucks in the union takes BEVO BUCKS. That's good news for my wallet, bad news for my sleep schedule. I have a history paper about Rousseau and the French Revolution due on Friday. It's an upper division history class, with history majors and seniors. I'm quite worried about how I'll do on the paper. I stayed up till three last night working on an outline and then today, I hope to actually finish the paper so I can run it by the TA to review ahead of time before I turn it in on Friday. I love this french revolution class. It's so interesting. Though it's tough and requires so much reading (we're concurrently reading about four books right now), it is one of the classes I'm really enjoying this semester.
Also on Friday, I've got a Philosophy test over Plato's the Republic. Being in Plan II and Business Honors, so far, has been good. I really enjoy learning both in the business context and in just overall acedmeica (with Plan II). But honestly, Philosophy is now making me disguised with Plan II. I went into my professor's office hours this morning, and he basically said that my "elementary education" was really bad and that all the questions I asked him in office hours were "common sense." Most professors would appreciate you stopping by their office hours to talk about the course and to clarify any misunderstandings, but I left this hour today feeling like crap and lower than scum. Not a good way to start off the day. I just don't understand who says that to people. AND it's probably too late to switch philosophy professors. At least it's the TA that grades the essay tests and not the professor. C'est la vie.
Relating to sleep deprivation: http://health.yahoo.com/news/179663
"...researchers said lack of sleep appeared to be linked to increased blood pressure, which is known to raise the risk of heart attacks and stroke."
On top of this, remember hearing studies saying that coffee was bad for your heart, and the other reports saying that those studies were not justified. So who knows, maybe college is just tough on the body. But is it all worth it. Sometimes, I wonder if college is even worth it? I know... it sound strange that here I am, a UT sophomore, questioning the point of college, but I've thought about this for a while. College seems like just a foot in the door to opportunities. Perhaps we can call it a weeding out process. but realistically, what we learn here in the classroom can only be applied so far. okay, i'm probably NOT making any sense. of course we need college to get a higher education to become more specialized in a field and get jobs. but is that the ultimate goal? what is the ultimate goal of college and classes? I mean, I'm motivated to get things done and do well in my classes.. but why? because a good GPA and good grades are important to landing a job with a good company. But what does these numbers mean after graduation? Kind of like high school... my HS GPA, SAT scores, and extracurricular activities mean nothing on paper anymore. I suppose it is the experiences I have taken from that that build up on life. ok. enough ranting about nothing. Career week was last week, and I'd have to say that it was pretty successful for me. There are some companies i'm trying to target and hopefully I can land an internship for this summer. That's where i'm conflicted as well. I had an internship this past summer, and I had a great time! But I also want to study abroad in a spanish-speaking country, maybe Spain or Argentina. But I have to decide whether I want to go during the summer or during the fall semester, and if so I need to make sure I'm in the right classes. I just feel i've been too busy to evaluate what I really want to gain from this semester.
Ok enough ranting. Moral of this post-- set a goal for this semester. What do you want to accomplish? Good Grades? Value Added Learning? Internship? Study Abroad? (or what have you?)
Well, I probably won't see daylight all week, so until then. Have a GREAT week!
2 comments:
Eric, you are much too jaded in this post. The point of college isn't the numbers. It's the learning that you take in that transcends school. It's being able to notice religious diction in a commercial. It's recognizing references to Shakespeare in TV shows and also recognizing why they're there. It's being able to articulate yourself clearly and beautifully because of all those damn papers you had to write. It's the friends that you'll always remember, the experiences you'll never forget, and the knowledge of your own self that grows every day. It's that, lover. = )
acedmeica
that's not a word my friend
Post a Comment